HISTORY OF ICC
Indore Christian College is an Educational Institution which was run by the Protestant Christian Minority community. It was Founded in the year 1887 A.D. by the,Canadian Mission. Over the years, it has become one of the premier institutions in the country.
At the time of its establishment in 1887, affiliation was secured vvith Calcutta University and College classes were started with only twelve students. The late Dr. John wilkie became the first Principal of the institution At the time of its establishment in 1887, affiliation was secured vvith Calcutta University and College classes were started with only twelve students. The late Dr. John wilkie became the first Principal of the institution.
The main building of the college was completed in the year 1895, and it was formally opened by the Agent to Governor General of India, Colonel Barr on 22nd November 1895. The first hostel was constructed in 1899 and today, we have 125 students living in the College Hostel. Our hostel life denotes national unity and international understanding. In 1902 Dr. A. A. King was appointed as Principal Consequent to the passing of Indian Universities Act. in 1904, we ceased to be affiliated with Calcutta University and became affiliated with Allahabad University.
Today, we are a flourishing co-educational institution. Of the 3,000 students studying in the college, 300 are girls. The first lady to enroll in the college was in 1910. In 1912, Rev. J.A. Sharrad was appointed Principal, when Dr. king went back to Canada. In 1913, Rev. A. A. Scott took over as Principal. However, when Dr. King returned to India in 1916, he again assumed the Principalship from 1916 to 1929 when he finally resigned.
In 1927, we became affiliated with Agra University and then with Vikram University and today, we are within the jurisdiction of Devi Ahilya University, Indore. In 1929, Dr. A. A. Scott took over the Principalship of the college and continued to serve in that capacity until 1952.
Dr. C.W. David, Head of the Deptt. of Hindi, was appointed Principal on 12th December, 1959 and continued till 30th June, 1966. Dr. David earned the distinction of being Dean, Faculty of Arts of both Vikram University and Indore University. During his tenure, Post-graduate Classes in Sanskrit and Social Work were introduced in 1960. School of Social Work later became an independent institution.
In July 1966, Dr. R. Moses took over as Principal of the college and started faculty of commerce in the year 1974.
In August 1978, Dr.J.A.L. Noah took over as Principal During his tenure, M.Com. classes were opened and a Commerce Block called `Chamkaur Complex’ was constructed.
On 6th September, 1990, Dr. K.P. Pothen became Principal. He retired on 26th March 1992.
Prof. S.K. Mohanty who was Vice-Principal took over as Principal on April 1, 1992. Prof. Mohanty has been confirmed as Principal by the M.P. Govt. and Devi Ahilya University, Indore. During Prof. Mohanty’s tenure B.Com. with Computer Applications started from the year 2000 A.D., being recognised by the State Government and the Devi Ahilya University.Because of the sad demise of Principal Prof. S.K. Mohanty. On 3rd Oct. 2003 Prof. K. C. Gupta took over the charge of Principal. Presently Dr. Amit David is the principle of the college.
At the moment many student are doing Ph.D. Research in different faculties in the College. In the field of Games and sports, we always top in inter-Collegiate tourneys conducted by the Devi Ahilya University.