Indore Christian College is an Educational Institution which was run by the Protestant
Christian Minority community. It was Founded in the year 1887 A.D. by the,Canadian
Mission. Over the years, it has become one of the premier institutions in the country.
At the time of its establishment in 1887, affiliation was secured vvith Calcutta
University and College classes were started with only twelve students. The late
Dr. John wilkie became the first Principal of the institution At the time of its
establishment in 1887, affiliation was secured vvith Calcutta University and College
classes were started with only twelve students. The late Dr. John wilkie became
the first Principal of the institution.
The main building of the college was completed in the year 1895, and it was formally
opened by the Agent to Governor General of India, Colonel Barr on 22nd November
The first hostel was constructed in 1899 and today, we have 125 students living
in the College Hostel. Our hostel life denotes national unity and international
In 1902 Dr. A. A. King was appointed as Principal Consequent to the passing of Indian
Universities Act. in 1904, we ceased to be affiliated with Calcutta University and
became affiliated with Allahabad University.
Today, we are a flourishing co-educational institution. Of the 3,000 students studying
in the college, 300 are girls. The first lady to enroll in the college was in 1910.
In 1912, Rev. J.A. Sharrad was appointed Principal, when Dr. king went back to Canada.
In 1913, Rev. A. A. Scott took over as Principal. However, when Dr. King returned
to India in 1916, he again assumed the Principalship from 1916 to 1929 when he finally
In 1927, we became affiliated with Agra University and then with Vikram University
and today, we are within the jurisdiction of Devi Ahilya University, Indore.
In 1929, Dr. A. A. Scott took over the Principalship of the college and continued
to serve in that capacity until 1952.
Dr. (Mrs.) L. W. Bryce, became Principal of the College in April 1952 and had to
leave for Canada in 1953 owing to ill health of her husband, But during this short
tenure as Principal,She started the school of Social work and Sociology classes
at the B.A. level.
In 1953, Rev. A. M. Dalaya was appointed as officiating Principal and during his
time, four new Post-graduate Courses were introduced in the College, namely English,
Hindi, Economics and Sociology.
Prof. R. N. Langer was appointed Principal in July, 1956 and continued till 12th
Dr. C.W. David, Head of the Deptt. of Hindi, was appointed Principal on 12th December,
1959 and continued till 30th June, 1966. Dr. David earned the distinction of being
Dean, Faculty of Arts of both Vikram University and Indore University. During his
tenure, Post-graduate Classes in Sanskrit and Social Work were introduced in 1960.
School of Social Work later became an independent institution.
In July 1966, Dr. R. Moses took over as Principal of the college and started faculty
of commerce in the year 1974.
In August 1978, Dr.J.A.L. Noah took over as Principal During his tenure, M.Com.
classes were opened and a Commerce Block called `Chamkaur Complex' was constructed.
On 6th September, 1990, Dr. K.P. Pothen became Principal. He retired on 26th March
Prof. S.K. Mohanty who was Vice-Principal took over as Principal on April 1, 1992.
Prof. Mohanty has been confirmed as Principal by the M.P. Govt. and Devi Ahilya
University, Indore. During Prof. Mohanty's tenure B.Com. with Computer Applications
started from the year 2000 A.D., being recognised by the State Government and the
Devi Ahilya University.Because of the sad demise of Principal Prof. S.K. Mohanty.
On 3rd Oct. 2003 Prof. K. C. Gupta took over the charge of Principal. Presently
Dr. Amit David is the principle of the college.
At the moment many student are doing Ph.D. Research in different faculties in the
College. In the field of Games and sports, we always top in inter-Collegiate tourneys
conducted by the Devi Ahilya University.